The use of needles for the effective administration of medication is unavoidable for some conditions. As needles are single-use, this means a potentially large number of sharp objects that need safe disposal. That’s where our Sharps Disposal Service comes in.
What is a sharps disposal service?
A sharps disposal service consists of issuing sharps bins and then the safe disposal of full bins by a pharmacy. If you self-administer using needles or if you are responsible for giving injections to someone, for example, parents caring for your child, you can get a sharps bin on prescription.
Sharp bins are hard plastic containers into which all needles, syringes and finger-prickers are added. The bins are designed so that the sharps cannot then be removed or fall out if the bin is knocked over. Once full, you seal the bin and then return to the issuing pharmacy. The pharmacy will use specialist companies who will collect the full bins and dispose of them safely.
You can dispose of the following items in a sharps bin:
- – needles
- – syringes
- – lancets used with finger-pricking devices
- – clippers
Plus any other medically-issued sharps.
Why is it important to use a sharps bin?
The primary reason for using a sharps bin is safety. By using a sharps bin the patient will:
- – have a safe and convenient method for the disposal of sharps.
- – reduce the volume of sharps stored in their home and reducing the risk of accidental needle-stick injuries.
- – limit the environmental damage caused by the use of inappropriate disposal methods for sharps.
In addition to these benefits, using a sharps bin will also:
- – help prevent the spread of blood-borne infections from needle-stick injuries.
- – protect healthcare staff and waste disposal workers from needle-stick injuries.
- – provide an alternative to other schemes that may charge for the service that deter proper disposal.
Remember, used needles must not be bent or broken before disposal, and you must never try to recap a needle.
How can I get a sharps bin for my meds?
If you are on prescription medication that requires the use of needles, such as diabetes or for severe allergies, you can also get a sharps bin via a prescription. We may offer you a sharps bin when you come to collect your prescription.
You can also speak to your GP or Loves Farm Pharmacy about how this works.